Guardian Title Company
Guardian Title Company was formed in 1982, by Eastland Attorney Jim Farrar under the guidance and encouragement of the late Jack Collard, prominent Fort Worth Title Company executive. In 1991, Guardian Title Company acquired the assets of Eastland County Abstract Company which was formed in the early to mid 1900's by the Earl Bender & Company, who had acquired Luckel & Darnell Abstract Company, and the Eastland Abstract Company. In 1996 Guardian Title Company acquired the assets of Eastland Title & Transfer, Inc., including the abstract plant formerly operated by Lone Star Title & Abstract Company, along with an abstract plant established and operated by Elliott & Waldron Company in the early 1950's. Local Eastland Attorney Brad Stephenson purchased the business from Farrar in 2008 and continues to operate the business today.
Guardian Title and Eastland County Abstract Company have the only complete index in Eastland County. The abstract plant includes complete indices of all real estate and mineral transactions from the "sovereignty of the soil." There is a copy of every plat that has ever been recorded in Eastland County and numerous plats that have been hand drawn of towns and surveys that have never been placed on record.
Our office is a 1907 Sears & Roebuck Catalog Home that was moved from Ranger, Texas in 1996. We did an extensive renovation to the original structure and our offices opened in 1997 at 116 N. Seaman St. in Eastland, TX.
Eastland County Abstract Company
Earl Bender was county clerk of Eastland County when he married Willie Arnold Bender in 1922. She was manager of Texas Bonded Abstract Company at that time. In 1923 the pair formed Earl Bender & Company and that same year acquired Texas Bonded Abstract Company. Texas Bonded Abstract Company was the first abstract plant owned by Maco Stewart of Galveston, Texas and founder of Stewart Title Guaranty Company, a major Texas Title Insurance Underwriter. Between 1923 and 1944, Earl Bender & Company acquired Luckel & Darnell Abstract Company and Eastland Abstract Company, the successor to L. A. Hightower & Company. The newly formed combined was named Eastland County Abstract Company. Eastland County Abstract Company was owned and operated by the Benders until his death in 1967. Mrs. bender sold the company to Pat & Annelle Miller in 1968, who continued to run the company until 1988 when the plant and accompanying records were sold to a group of attorneys from the Dallas area.